As the number of COVID-19 cases literally doubled in South Africa yesterday, many casinos are taking extra precautions to stop the spread of the virus. This, despite the fact that President Ramaposa has kept the country at its lowest lockdown level.
Durban’s Sibaya Casino and Entertainment announced today that it would be postponing all its scheduled live entertainment which had planned for the upcoming festive season. Ticketholders will be able to request a full refund at Computicket or Checkers.
"Sibaya would like to adopt a cautious approach to live entertainment, so we are postponing our shows until a time when they can resume safely," said the Sun International owned property.
Sibaya management assured the public that the resort’s other facilities remain open. “We would like to remind visitors that the best protection against infection is still to wear masks, sanitize and maintain a social distance,” they said.
Sun International encouraged South Africans to vaccinate in order to reduce the risk of hospitalization.
“By doing this, we can still enjoy the traditional year-end break,” said Sun International. The resort runs a vaccination clinic which operates on Fridays and Saturdays.
Who and What is the Global Hotel Alliance Programme?
The Global Hotel Alliance Programme is considered the world’s largest alliance of independent hotel brands. It operates the multi-brand loyalty programme known as DISCOVERY and boasts a network of over 35 independent brands, covering 570 hotels in 85 countries around the world.
The group was founded 11 years ago, with the objective to help independent and luxury brand hotels compete with global players in the industry, without losing their individuality. Last year, the DISCOVERY brand celebrated a decade of operations.
What Sibaya Casino Has to Offer
Sibaya Casino continues to run regularly and securely, attracting South Africans who enjoy top quality gaming entertainment.
- The casino has nearly 1,300 slot machines, among them the popular touch-bet roulette machines.
- There are over 50 gaming tables to play at, including roulette, blackjack, poker, baccarat and the new Call Card 52.
- All players are catered for, and there are smoking and non-smoking sections of the casino available.
- High rollers will find the exclusive Royal Court Salon Prive, which is reserved for Gold, Platinum and Diamond MVG cardholders.
- MVG guests will enjoy a special VIP gaming assistance bureau which ensures secure transactions.
- For an even more upmarket gaming experience, visitors can enjoy the exclusive Sun Lounge, which boasts 8 gaming tables and 58 slot machines. This gaming area is open to players who enjoy slightly higher denominational games than what is available on the regular casino floor. There is also a bar with refreshments and good drinks that can be enjoyed while playing the games.
- Exclusive casino promotions and special offers for all Sun MVG loyalty members.
What Sun International Casinos do to Protect Against COVID-19
According the CEO of Global Hotel Alliance, Chris Hartley, Sun International will be joining the alliance at an important moment in the middle of this year, in the hope that the international travel and tourism industry will be on the road to recovery by them. Hartley said that finding a strong partner to enter South Africa with, has been a priority for Global Hotel Alliance. He said that joining up with the group reflects GHA’s optimism that the industry is indeed on the mend.
“We are proud to welcome Sun International as GHA's member brand in South Africa, and we are confident that they will benefit greatly from joining the alliance,” said Hartley. “They will immediately have access to a global audience of over 17 million DISCOVERY members; and we know from our research that South Africa is a popular destination for our customer base.”
Sun International Properties to Go Live by Mid-2021
Sun International has a number of protocols in place that help protect against the spread of the virus.
At present, only MGV cardholders are allowed onto casino floors. Visitors have to accept Sun International’s COVID-19 Entry to Premises terms and conditions before they’re allowed into any of the resorts.
All visitors need to abide by the rules of hand sanitation at all entrances and at check in counters. They also need to complete a medical screening questionnaire and undergo a temperature check. Anyone with a temperature over 37.3%, or who presents flu-like symptoms, may be denied entry.
It goes without saying that cloth or disposable masks have to be worn at all times and visitors have to keep a distance of 1.5 meters from others.